Tuesday 26 April 2011

Using drama to explain medical errors and medical mistakes!

 I recently attended a conference about organisational culture and job burnout in hospitals (April 2011-Thessaloniki, Greece). I delivered a paper at the conference. However, I was very impressed by the presentation from a group of final year medical students (from Aristotle Medical School, Thessaloniki, Greece). The students used drama as a way to highlight the impact that medical mistakes have on both healthcare professionals and patients. It`s difficult to convey their approach without showing a video, but basically, they dramatised personal interviews from physicians as a series of short plays. In addition, they used clever technology to overlay the Hippocratic oath throughout the performance. Thus, we the audience, were prompted to reflect via the use of different modalities. Very innovative, very interesting and difficult to forget! Drama and medicine in Greece, very fitting!

2 comments:

  1. I searched the net, but I came across your website and I found it more interesting. Easy to understand language used in the article. I will continue to use it in my future this site.
    psychology.ws | Psychologists NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! That sounds like a cool way to raise an important issue. And unfortunately, medical errors are largely ignored instead of being treated as a deeply ingrained problem with our medical system. Medical malpractice lawsuits help put pressure on the system to avoid such errors and injuries in the future.

    ReplyDelete